TerraSim® Releases MaterialMAP 2
June 20, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA - TerraSim is excited to announce the release of MaterialMAP 2, the latest version of its image classification and surface map generation software.
MaterialMAP is a stand-alone application that couples supervised classification technology with a unique understanding of multiple modeling and simulation runtime requirements to produce surface material maps from satellite imagery. The exported surface material maps are then used in visual, constructive, and serious game runtime applications to determine entity mobility and routing, display various runtime visual effects, and for terrain sensor simulation.
Prior to MaterialMAP, there were no easy methods for converting high-fidelity satellite imagery into surface material maps used in today's simulators. Surface maps were either produced from existing low-resolution land cover maps or were generated from vector GIS data. This resulted in low-quality surfaces that would not match the satellite imagery used to produce the terrain database. MaterialMAP's streamlined process for surface map generation greatly improves the visual quality of a terrain and provides correlated output to maximize the utility of the surface map across multiple correlated simulation systems.
|Input satellite imagery (top) with classification in MaterialMAP (bottom)|
MaterialMAP 2 includes numerous interface improvements that optimize usability while offering faster image processing and classification. New features include vector data import, reassignment tools to refine image classification, aggregation support for VBS3 extended surfaces, the ability to generate seasonally varied satellite imagery, and more.
Key MaterialMAP features include:
- Import multi-spectral and value-mapped (palette) color imagery from standard formats including GeoTIFF and PNG
- Import existing vector data to supplement image classification
Image Classification and Refinement
- Create distinct sample classes for the surface materials visible in the satellite imagery
- Create and use new or existing vector data to define surface material classes
- Develop alternative classification strategies and rapidly visualize intermediate classification results
- Smooth classified imagery to further refine the output
- Reassign pixel classification in user-defined areas
- Use built-in history to review and select the best image classification results
Aggregation and Export
- Aggregate classification to meet runtime-specific surface material map attribution and requirements
- Export classified layers to common vector and image formats including Shapefile, GeoTIFF, and PNG
- Export surface material maps for use in constructive and serious game runtime applications including JCATS, JSAF, OneSAF, Steel Beasts Pro, and VBS (VBS2, VBS3, VBS IG)
- Export surface material maps with extended surfaces for VBS3
- Export seasonally varied imagery using vegetation surfaces of any classified layer to guide the recoloration
|Biotope scatter in VBS3 (left) using a classified surface map output from MaterialMAP (right)|
TerraSim, Inc., a Bohemia Interactive Simulations company, is a leading technology company that specializes in the development of advanced software solutions to automate geospatial source data preparation and terrain generation. Our products are designed to be flexible, scalable, and compatible by continuing to support the widest range of visual, constructive, and serious game runtimes in the military simulation and training industry. Our business model encompasses the sale and support of commercial off-the-shelf software, geospatial source data preparation and terrain generation services, and advanced research and development.